Monday, June 13, 2011

Collaboration project 5

I have been working with fine-line piecing for several years, but almost always with solid colors.  Recently I did some "fracturing" of screenprinted text.  While I was studying with Dorothy Caldwell recently she suggest that I start with a huge expanse of text rather than just a bit. 

But I had a better idea as I returned to my seat and passed the workstation of my friend Shelley Brenner Baird, whose screenprinting I have always drooled over. I asked her if she would consider a collaboration -- she making the fabric, I piecing in the fine line fracture pattern.  She agreed, and here's the result:























Fault Lines 5
Shelley Brenner Baird and Kathleen Loomis

Shelley's fabric was only 36 inches wide and I was concerned that it would turn out too small, since piecing in the fine lines takes up fabric.  So I augmented it with some orange fabric that I had dyed several years ago.  I love the color scheme, and was particularly pleased to note that it matched the silks of the Belmont Stakes winner, Ruler On Ice.

4 comments:

  1. The piece looks great and the additional orange fabric added much more than just more surface. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen. This is a beautiful collaboration! Collaborations are not easy, nor are they often successful. And I know what you mean about Shelleys fabric. Now...what's this about working with a huge expanse of text? I want to see some of this work please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine -- so far no huge expanse of text, just small ones. See my post at February 6 (sorry, I don't know how to get a link into a comment box). When I do it bigger I will let you all know!

    ReplyDelete