Friday, January 2, 2015

Daily art -- last year, this year


For the last two years my daily art project has been collage, and for the last several weeks I've been agonizing over how to define my project for 2015.  In some ways I was ready to be done with collage; I lost my enthusiasm toward the end of summer and only a redefinition of the rules gave me a boost and got me through the year.  So I wanted to be sure that however I defined this year's project, it would be sufficiently different that I wouldn't start going stale before the daffodils appear.

I toyed with the idea of having no rules at all, just a uniform size so that I could attach all the pieces into a calendar-like array.  I've been drawn more and more to text in my art, so I toyed with various ideas for using found poetry or similar approaches.  I toyed with the idea of doing calligraphy every day.   It wasn't until 2 am on New Year's Day, as I was not sleeping and thinking about art, that I finally decided:

* I will still call it collage, although I might occasionally permit a day with just painting, printing, writing or drawing.

* Each piece will be 4 x 6".

* Each piece will include a word or phrase cut from that day's newspaper (or if no newspaper is available, some other printed material acquired or found that day.

* Each piece will include the date, preferably cut out of the newspaper.

So here's the first day's collage:

Everything I've done in 2014 is now up on my Daily Art website if you want to look at it.



2 comments:

  1. Big decisions ... bravely made! The first "offering" is satisfyingly sparse, imho.
    happy new year, m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I could commit to everyday. Maybe everyday I am at home in my studio , but I look forward seeing what you create!

    ReplyDelete