Monday, January 23, 2017

Vickie makes a little book


When I wrote last fall about making a book of "newspaper poetry" and invited readers to copy the idea, Vickie Wheatley left a comment that she was going to make one herself.  Yesterday I was so happy to see her finished book, and it's wonderful!  She gave me permission to share it with you.

I had used early/late as the theme for my little book; Vickie used up/down, and found lots of raw material.  Since both "up" and "down" are parts of so many idioms, she had a lot more variety than I found with my theme.  Here are a few of her pages:

























Just as I found when making my book, Vickie discovered that some of her pages strongly resembled poetry.  Best of all, her husband, who writes music, used some of the "poetry" as a basis for a new song!

Well, done, Vickie!  And thanks for sharing your work with us.

4 comments:

  1. This is very cool! I was thinking the poetry was what she had tried to do, until you said the bit where she discovered it 'strongly resembled poetry'.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever! I wonder if my granddaughters would like this as an ongoing project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the challenge to "steal this idea." I loved the whole process. I read the paper more carefully and more thoroughly than ever before. I cut all of the strips and organized them before beginning. The restriction to use only what I had before me led me down paths and up alleys I would never have explored if writing freely.

    ReplyDelete